freindly roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cubalaya, Jun 21, 2011.

1. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i have some roosters that are between 14 and 18 weeks old. they free range all day, spending time in the woods and eating bugs. they will eventually end up in freezer camp but the australorps are so freindly that they run right up to me and hang around until i pat them on the back. they would probably get mean if i decided to keep them.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They might just be sweet roos. Austrolorps are supposed to be the most docile breed. Cochin roos are usually very docile too.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, come live on the wild side like me and KEEP those roos! I have several in my flock and they do not fight. My dominant rooster, Carl, keeps everybody in check, and he has a couple of "lieutenant" roos who also assist with rooster duties. Only my obnoxious little Sebright roos challenge me. They're easy to walk backwards and remind that *I* am the Boss of this Flock, even over Carl.

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i already keep 7-8 roosters here. their father, my black australorp breeder rooster was never that friendly. he has never tried to flog me though, and lets me pick him up, and takes good care of his hens.

5. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Not to discourage you, but my Australorpe was the meanest roo I have had. he was a good protecter of his girls though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by