French black copper maran gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sigmachigirl, Sep 1, 2014.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Hi there, I am new to marans, and have been going back and forth about the gender of this little sweetie. Hoping it is a she, but wasn't sure because of the comb size. "Copper" is about 10.5 weeks old in this pic. Not a lot has changed in the last week. Face occasionally pinks up (not red) when she/he is excited and getting treats. Thoughts?[​IMG]

2. LadyBroody

LadyBroody Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a rooster, but not sure as I've never had Marans. He/she looks very sweet! [​IMG]

3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I'm hoping for a girl. We can't keep boys. She/he was given to me by a local breeder who was getting out of chickens for a while. His girls lay eggs that are number 8 on the color scale! The black comb isn't helping me figure it out either!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullet. There is no sign of a red, large rooster comb, and I'm not seeing any pointy hackle(neck) feathers or saddle feathers. By this age, if "it" was a rooster, you would see a lot larger comb.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I will see if I can get another picture later today. Copper is starting to get some beautiful light hints of copper. And you are right, not really seeing any of the hackles or pointy feathers yet, and getting some rounder feathers near the tail, which was what made me think again. She/he has beautiful round little eyes, and a very pretty face.

7. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Female.

You would be seeing a lot more copper/comb development if it was a cockerel.

8. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I hope so! Here are more picture. She/he is just a day or so shy of 12 weeks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Still looks like a pullet. [​IMG]

10. chicken-n-worms

chicken-n-worms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    Joshua Tree California
    I have been having problems sexing mine also but this just answered my question Thank you cause the hens do have combs just not as big and the males have lots more copper on them Right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by