French Black Copper Maran with fluid filled breast and droopy comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ponchiepeepsDH, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ponchiepeepsDH

ponchiepeepsDH Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Help,
    I noticed my FBCM has a droopy comb and her chest is filled with fluid. When she walks her chest sways back and fort with fluid. From the profile, it is defintely puffed out with something. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

2. fowlgirl

fowlgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Sounds like Ascitis(spelling?) I encountered it a year ago with my hen. You can look it up for more info.Basicly, its the effects of liver damage. Her belly is filling up with infection fighting white blood cells. So, what I did was suck the fluid out via med gauge needle from her belly. The fluid should be yellowish if it is Ascites, if bloody, then she should be dead. My hen lived a couple months as I did this about once a week. But I let it go too long in the beginning and therefore her legs were damaged and was unable to jump,so do it soon!

3. ponchiepeepsDH

ponchiepeepsDH Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Thanks for your help. It seems that may the problem, however, I have no equipment for draining fluids right now. She is still walking around but it may be too late to save her with as puffed out as her chest is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by