French Black Copper Marans Chicks - Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickmate, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    I was going to post this question on Maran's thread, but after lurking for a while those people scare me! They talk way over my head about eye color and feathers on the middle toe and recessive versus dominant genes. They don't really sound like they would welcome my newbie question if it doesn't concern breeding or showing. I just want to know if 7 of my 10 babies are roosters?! Anybody here have FBCM's and can offer advice? I know this breed has a large comb, even on the hens, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing pullets with normal combs or roosters. One I know for sure is a roo because even at almost 4 weeks, he is crowing already, but 7 of them are getting red coloring in their combs and they seem large to me. I know the picture is not good, all I have is my cell phone until I can get my digital camera fixed. Maybe someone can make out enough to hazard a guess? Way too early to tell without better pictures?

The little guy in the left front is the one that's crowing already
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    I have 8 FBCM that are 3 weeks old today, so I'm looking at them pretty hard, too, trying to figure out what I've got. I also have some older FBCMs, too.

What I'm seeing barely [​IMG] in your photos is a few male combs. Those aren't all females. Female combs will still be pretty close to the head at 4 weeks.

I have 3 big combs that look like yours, 2 mid sized and 3 barely there combs (females). Those two mid sized combs I can't figure out yet because the males are actually supposed to have a Langshan looking comb, which is smaller than the meaty combs that some of the FBCM end up with, so the mid size combs could be some of the smaller combed males.

None of mine are starting to crow yet. That would be funny, but at least then I'd know if I have 3 males and 5 females or the other way around.

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    My 5 week old BCM roos have started to get copper in the feathers around their necks. That's how I know mine are roos.

4. Chickmate

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Quote:Thanks for the advice all two of you! I am going to try to get better individual pictures of them tomorrow with my crappy cell phone and I'll check to see if I see any copper coming out on the ones I think are male. There are three that I feel 95% are pullets due to the small combs they have, but like you said Sparklee, I see different sized combs. Three very small, three middle sized and four large. What am I going to do with all these roos?? [​IMG]

5. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:Thanks for the advice all two of you! I am going to try to get better individual pictures of them tomorrow with my crappy cell phone and I'll check to see if I see any copper coming out on the ones I think are male. There are three that I feel 95% are pullets due to the small combs they have, but like you said Sparklee, I see different sized combs. Three very small, three middle sized and four large. What am I going to do with all these roos?? [​IMG]

Individual pics would be much better. I am seeing 2-3 roos for sure. I can give a better estimate with closer pics! [​IMG]

6. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
  7. Chickmate

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Thanks gvntofly05, I'll post better pics tomorrow and look forward to hearing most of them are pullets!

8. Chickmate

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Quote:Thanks for the visual willkatdawson. I have three that look like your little girl and the others all have larger combs, so. . . . I'm thinking I have 7 roos. I'll still post pics tomorrow to see what the rest of you think. Thanks!

By the way, your Millie is so adorable with her little brood! Such a good mom to them. Is she a BO?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I see a few roo's in the bunch. Look for pink combs and wattles--those are all good indicators at this age. [​IMG]

The people on the Marans thread are very nice, give em a chance. They are very passionate about the breed and are all striving to improve their breeding programs. They are great resources to learn from and would surely help you out. The thread moves really fast so if your question gets passed over, don't take it personally, just repost [​IMG]

Good luck with your babies!

10. Chickmate

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Quote:Thanks Bravo. I guess they intimated me right off and I didn't think they would bother to respond. My bad for judging them without giving them a chance. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by