French Black Copper Marans gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bazy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Bazy

Bazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    I have these two 7 week old Marans chicks and trying to figure out gender. I have a third black chick, but the problem is I don't know if the third chick is langshan or marans. The third chick has a yellow comb which is tiny compared to these guys. I have a splash cockerel the same age bit he is 15% larger and came from a different breeding pen, otherwise I don't see the difference. There's pictures of two BCM chicks here. One is very slightly larger.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deckgirls

Deckgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Thats a pretty big red comb for a pullet at 7 weeks (the picture of the two in the bucket) one looks like a pullet and one looks like a roo

3. Bazy

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Here's a couple more pictures. I need to figure this out because I thought they were both roosters and have promised one this sunday! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess is that they are both roosters.

5. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Both cockerels.

6. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Cockerel and pullet. (Possibly two cockerels.)

Can't tell what the 3rd chick is, but with the yellow skinned chick, you should show some good closeups. If the yellow skinned chick came from the same parents as the others, I would potentially suspect all as being split for Wheaten- although some may be pure. There's a test that can be done when BCM are adults to determine if Wheaten is present in a Black Copper. Anyone that will be bred should be tested. If they are just to be backyard chickens it won't matter.

Marans roosters are really gorgeous, and this boy will start to color in soon. More often than not, they are gentlemanly, docile, and great to the ladies, besides usually human friendly. Ours enjoy being held, they relax and happily close their eyes, or they will gently eat snacks from your hand- lovely fellows. Our RIR hens prefer Marans roos to their own breed, and follow them around like rock stars. lol

He could start crowing soon. Ours often start at a few weeks old. If you decide not to keep him, try to rehome him before culling, as Marans roosters are excellent farm roosters and he may be a good candidate eventually for a breeding program if he passes a Wheaten test. I see already he shows good 'type', nice chest, solid looking, great strong head and neck, and his eyes are lightening, so they should be bay colored in a few months- shanks and leg feathers look good- everything in order that I want to see at this age. The white feathers will eventually be molted away. Or, if you wait until he's about 6 months old, if he looks good enough (and my suspicion is that he will), you can try to sell him. If he somehow becomes a mean boy or poorly colored, etc., Marans are above average eats.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    From these photos, both look like cockerels.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They both look like cockerels to me.

9. Bazy

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas
    Quote:Thank you all for your answers! I will get someone to help me hold them tonight and take some great pictures. The third chick may be pure Black Langshan (she was a 'bonus' freebie egg) or may be marans pullet, but I will include a picture of her also. I would love to know!. I had one of each, but lost one when they both looked similar and now don't know if I have a Marans pullet or a Langshan pullet...or I could compare her to the boys. They all had/have feathered feet. These Marans were purchased as hatching eggs from a trusted breeder who is working toward SOP. I am giving one cockerel away to someone who wants to breed him, and I am keeping one. I would of course like to keep the best one, but I am not sure which that would be. I promise to get great pictures tonight and post them up. I also have a splash cockerel and will eventually have to choose between black and splash (opinions on that are VERY welcome). The Black are kept strictly in pens with pure blacks, so I know he is not a mix. When I got the eggs they were marked black and blue/splash respectively, and hatched correctly from the eggs as they were marked. One of the suspected cockerels has a tail when observed from above that looks a little wider than the other, and more full bodied. And, yes, if I hold them and stroke their neck feathers or tails, they go to sleep. that's what was happening in the pictures...It looked a little like he was dying or something...

10. Bazy

Jul 4, 2014
    Parker, Texas

Got so.e hopefully better pictures tonight. Chick #1[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unidentified female. Either black copper marans or black langshan. Opinions welcome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my splash marans rooster
    [​IMG]
    I would love to be sure the first two are roosters, and opinions as to which one to keep, what the female chick is breed wise, and opinions of my splash roo... ( I think he's a roo)
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by