French Black Copper Marans. Hen or Roo?! Please help!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by snremer6980, Sep 30, 2012.

1. snremer6980

snremer6980 New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    Hi,

These chickens were hatched with in hours of each other. They are both French Black Copper Marans. They are 23 1/2 weeks old. To this date neither has crowed or laid an egg. They both look so different that I have a hard time believing that they are both hens, but also cant believe that if one was a rooster that it would not be crowing by now. Neither squats. Also neither is my most dominant chicken. That chicken, born on the same day is a hen and does lay eggs.

How long to I have to wait to see if these are hens or roosters? Any ideas? Please help!

Chicken 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicken 2. I apologize for the sideways pictures. Could not figure out how to rotate them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!!

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    They both look like pullets to me. The second one looks like she may be getting redder in the comb and wattles, that is usually an indication that she is getting ready to start laying. My girls all differed in age when startiing to lay. Some started at 20 weeks, some at 26 weeks. Some can take much longer than that. Nice girls too.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  3. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    X2 Congrats!

4. snremer6980

snremer6980 New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    I sure hope so!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by