French Black Copper Marans - Not friendly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thrustbucket, Jul 7, 2010.

1. thrustbucket

thrustbucket New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Coming from my first three chickens, which were sexlinks and a RIR, I just got 4 baby FBCM chicks.

Holy cow, these FBCM's make my other chickens seem like the most docile creatures on earth in comparison. They are flighty, aggressive and mean. If we get anywhere near them they flip out and look like little popcorn kenrals popping. If you put your hand in their cage they act like it's Armageddon.

They are just over two weeks old and I have spent close to an hour a day sitting with them and talking with them. I have tried to feed them blueberries, lettuce, strawberris and oats. They ignore all of it. If you hold them we get scared because they act like they are dangerously close to heart attacks.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I get a bad batch? Or are FBCM's just naturally not very friendly?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mine are friendly but not as friendly as others.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's the age they are. It's the don't kill me stage. They should settle down.

One of mine just started laying, but they are really mellow. One is almost too timid, but she's a sweety. They don't like to be held, but I'm not one to constantly pick them up, so that's okay with me. But when I do pick them up, they are heavy! Both will come running to me and eat out of my hands.

4. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I just got 4 FBCM chicks that are 1-2 wks old and they are the same way. I also got 2 hens and they seem much more docile. I have not handled them much yet because they are in quarantine at the moment. They have really nice eggs!

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    It's the age but none of ours are real personable want to be your best friend chickens which is fine with me...they are not my pets

6. thrustbucket

thrustbucket New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Darn. Our chickens are our pets. My sexlinks were really sweet baby chicks as I remember. Maybe I don't remember correctly.

Hopefully they calm down.

7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    that is interesting! my 2 week olds are the most docile chicks ive ever had jumping right into your hand to be held!
    (Yes i know this is from 2010)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by