French Black Copper Marans Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JFreeman, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

My Black Marans are now around 9 weeks old, and I'm trying to figure out if one of them is a rooster or a hen.

This is the possible roo, at least it is supposed to be a roo. I won't be too upset if it is a hen, since I can always just buy a roo later.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The next pictures are of the hen. I know she is a hen. Her comb and waddle are a fleshy pink. Above, the comb is a touch bigger and it and the waddle are more red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    A lot of those look like roos :/

3. JFreeman

There are only two, just a lot of pictures. The group on the bottom is one and the group at the top is the other. So you think the one up top is a roo? The bottom is no doubt a hen.

I couldn't get a picture of them side by side.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both birds look like roosters to me. One is just a little less mature than the other, probably because he is lower in the pecking order.

5. JFreeman

Could be. Well then! :) Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it.

6. Peach Mom

Peach Mom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    I hatched a French Black Copper Marans baby under a broody mama this past spring. The wives tale where you hold it on its back and if it flips over, it's a roo said it was a roo. He was huge, held his body more upright like our other FBCM roo, and we were convinced. No one could have convinced me this was a hen until He started laying eggs! [​IMG] It is still hard to call her a her and though she is laying nicely she is still a bit bigger than the other hens. I was so thankful it was not a roo as we had to re-home our last roo due to the two of them trying to kill each other. With the big combs and wattles on male and female this is a hard breed to figure out young!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by