French black copper moran loosing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greeneggacre, Jan 5, 2013.

1. greeneggacre

greeneggacre New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    Hello, I have 6 hens and 5 are kept separate from the other one. In the group of 5 one is dominate and was plucking feathers.
    I am doing the WI project (salt water every 3 days) and letting them free range again after a bobcat attack. I lost one of my rooster chicks.
    So 4 of them have plucked feathers on their rear ends.
    The plucking started when the free ranging stopped.
    The 5 hens have a running pen 12' X 15' with a creosote bush, 3 laying crates, roost ladder.
    I have been using Blue Coat when their skin is red and irrated looking.
    When its not I use Monkey Butt powder with corn starch.
    This morning I noticed one lost all its tail feathers on the roost last nite.
    When coating with Monkey Butt another one tried flyng out of my wifes grip and lost some feathers (fell out). Rear end area.
    I am under the impression they are molting. The feathers that fell out are light and fluffly looking.
    Egg production really slowed down from up to 5 eggs daily to 1 today.
    They are 10-11 months old, weight is good and well fed.
    Layer feed, scratch, black oil sunflower seeds, coral calcium, egg shell, veggie & fruit scraps.
    Is it normal to molt in January? Todays date is 01-05-13.
    Temprature was 27* last night.
    Thanks.

2. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    I am fairly new but I was wondering if it could have to do with stress or trying to figure out a new pecking order? I also seen on here some sort of shades you can get for your chicks that when attacked make it hard to pluck feathers from other chicks. I myself would be less likely to pen one by it's self due to cold weather and the chickens need for a pecking order which may make it hard to reintroduce the one back into the flock.

3. greeneggacre

greeneggacre New Egg

Jun 22, 2012
    No, they are not working on a new pecking order.
    The coop opens into the running pen.
    Nothing has changed in their environment or care other than letting them free range again in the last week or so which they enjoy.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It is not uncommon for chickens to molt during the winter. Do you have any pictures??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by