French Bulldog Puppies/Breeders?

EyesOnSunday

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Newton, NH
I have decided on getting a French Bulldog and I couldn't be more excited. I don't even have one yet and am already becoming obsessed!

I live in New Hampshire and I am looking for a good breeder of healthy pups. The closer the better but I am willing to travel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Although I don't know of one specifically, please make sure the breeder you choose is NOT a byb or puppy mill, but a breeder who truly cares for and wants the best for the breed. Make sure the parents are health tested and are an improvement upon the breed. Maybe you already know this but there are far too many people who don't. Enjoy your new pup!

Thanks for the advice! I am aware of those factors and want to find a RESPONSIBLE breeder. It's so difficult! There are more irresponsible/fraudulent people out there than honest ones. I am willing to spend more money and travel to get a healthy dog that has been properly bred.

Those little guys are adorable. Good luck finding a breeder, and make sure you come back to tell us all about the new baby.

I'd agree with starting with the breed club. From there you might be able to find a local club, and then from there you can just go nuts going to events to see your potential breeders in action with their dogs.

don't overlook having the pup shipped.
at a minimum, I'd look for a breeder who has lines free of Megaesophagus, elongated soft palate, cleft palate, stenotic nares, or tracheal collapse. They should also test for von Willebrand's Disease and have proof of OFA results for the dogs in the pedigree for both hips and patellas (elbows).
The breed is also known for heart problems, spinal issues, eye conditions and thyroid issues. Since they are almost always delivered through C-section, added to all of the health issues in the breed, and the fact that they have small litters I wouldn't expect a reputable breeder to charge less than a couple thousand. Though don't mistake an expensive dog for a healthy or well-bred dog, a good breeder will be happy to show you the results of the health tests for not just mom and dad, but grandparents and dogs for several generations back.

Thank you all for your advice! There is so much to consider. The issues I have with shipping are that there is a lot of risk for brachycephalic dogs on airplanes and that I would not get a chance to see the breeders home and meet the litter to pick out my dog. I would prefer to make the drive, even if it is a few hours away.

I'm used to working dog breeders who, while they might give you the choice between a couple dogs that suit you, aren't going to just let you pick any dog from the litter.
Many breeders will also meet you part way or arrange ground transport. That can more than double your distance.

I was in your position three years ago, looking for my first Frenchie... I wanted to warn you that I was SHOCKED at how many scammers and puppy millers are out there with this breed. Sounds like you already know this, I just wanted to reiterate!!
If you can be patient, and curb your impulse you should be ok. Be willing to WALK AWAY from a person and their ADORABLE puppies (all puppies are adorable right?!) if anything makes you feel wrong. You should be able to meet parents, see pedigrees, talk to the vet, etc etc etc. If the "breeder" gets at all standoffish, walk away. I barely managed my own impulses, but in the end it paid off and I found a great, HEALTHY Frenchie in the color I really wanted (wanted Fawn but everything I had seen was black or brindle), from a great breeder who only has one or two litters each year and pups are raised in the house with the family and kids... that is what you want!
Good luck, Frenchies are something else!! HUGE hearts and personalities LOL!!

I was in your position three years ago, looking for my first Frenchie... I wanted to warn you that I was SHOCKED at how many scammers and puppy millers are out there with this breed. Sounds like you already know this, I just wanted to reiterate!!
If you can be patient, and curb your impulse you should be ok. Be willing to WALK AWAY from a person and their ADORABLE puppies (all puppies are adorable right?!) if anything makes you feel wrong. You should be able to meet parents, see pedigrees, talk to the vet, etc etc etc. If the "breeder" gets at all standoffish, walk away. I barely managed my own impulses, but in the end it paid off and I found a great, HEALTHY Frenchie in the color I really wanted (wanted Fawn but everything I had seen was black or brindle), from a great breeder who only has one or two litters each year and pups are raised in the house with the family and kids... that is what you want!
Good luck, Frenchies are something else!! HUGE hearts and personalities LOL!!

I am trying to curb my unbelievable impulse! haha. It's so hard! But I am going to wait for the right puppy from the right breeder, for all the right reasons :) I have just started this process and I think I have already run into scams. Its ridiculous.

Congrats on your Frenchie! Did the breeder request a deposit? (I have heard from some "Frenchie buying advice" websites that it is bad practice for them to request that. Has he/she had any health problems yet?

Back
Top Bottom