French Cuckoo Maran Cockarel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wooden_Pony, May 5, 2008.

1. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

About 8 weeks old..... I thought it was a pullet but now I am thinking (pretty sure) it is a cockarel? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    While the comb and wattles doo look a bit pink, the color says pullet. Typically, roos are much lighter. The only other concerning thing is what looks like saddle feathers on the rump. It is hard to tell from the photo if that is, in fact, what they are. I think it will be much more evident in a couple more weeks.

Richard

3. Wooden_Pony

Thanks Richard for your reply!

The one thing that made me think cockarel was the saddle feathers [​IMG] on the back. Also the fact that this one spends a lot of time sparring with my older Cochin cockarel.

My pullets goof with the cochin cockarel but do have necks fluffed stare down matches with him.

Keeping fingers crossed she is a she since she has a WONDERFUL home waiting for HER!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    what every the sex of that marans it looks nice I love my maran hens.

Henry

5. Wooden_Pony

I was very happy with this sellers eggs and chicks.

No dening that she is a looker I just never had them before and wanted to make sure of the sex. Since it is confusing me so much with it's personality. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by