1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

French Guineas vs. Regular Guineas??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Standard Hen, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I went to the web and the only difference that I can see is they are bigger? Does anyone have any?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I have never had any myself (just want some [​IMG]) but I think French guineas need help reproducing and regular quineas do it on their own. For my part I would rather leave it up to the birds.[​IMG]

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Hmmm, I was wondering that too. I had looked at ordering the French from JM Hatchery. I could order 15 from that place. I would be pushing the envelope of my DHs patience if I ordered 30 from the other places.
    I guess if you were planning on eating them, the larger bird would make more sense. [​IMG]

4. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    On the web it says there is only two hatcheries in the US and JM is one of them. They are supposed to be very good eating but I do not eat any of my birds. To chicken,,,,lol:lau

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    The French Guineas are bred to be meat birds. Just like the broiler birds they have a very short life span.

6. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Wow, Robin! Thanks for that info. My meat birds tend to drop like flys. Well, not all of them, we got quite a few in the freezer a month ago.
    I don't want to spend lots of money on birds that are meant to be short lived and I wasn't expecting that. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  7. Standard Hen

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thanks Robin,,,,someone is giving some away and I had never heard of them. Glad I wrote in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by