French maran vs maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jjredpower, Mar 2, 2017.

1. jjredpower

jjredpower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    What makes some breeds "french" and which breed lay the darkest chocolate eggs?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, marans (the breed name always has the 's' on the end, by the way, whether you are talking about one bird or twenty since they are named after the town they originated in) are a French breed. "French" marans are bred to the French standard.

3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    X2 what pyxis said.
    Around here from breeders that raise marans just because they are dark egg layers and dont breed to any standard. They keep it simple "french marans" have feathered legs and "marans" have clean legs.
    Ive had both in bbs copper and cuckoo. With mine the feather legged or "french marans" laid darker eggs and the copper laid darker then the cuckoo.
    Good breeder stock is going to out lay hatchery or so so breeder stock as far as darker eggs.
    If all is equal about what kind of breeding theyre coming from id go with french feather legged black copper marans. Id take any color from a good breeder over any other color from a hatchery if i cared about egg color.

4. jjredpower

Oct 21, 2015
    Awesome thank you so much. I bought a dozen back french copper marans eggs and ended up w a rooster and 3 hens. But something got one of my hens yesterday.....ugh....they do lay dark eggs but they are spotted too. Thanks for the info!!

5. jjredpower

Oct 21, 2015
    Any suggestions on where to get more black copper french marans?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by