French Maran?

MJ12728

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
Little Orleans, MD
I was told she was a French Maran when I got her but have never gotten any "chocolate" brown eggs. A couple of brown with dark spots but not sure if they are hers. She may be passed her laying age but is still pretty.

welcome-byc.gif

Does she have feathered legs and white/pink skin? If so, she's likely a hatchery cuckoo Marans.

The thing is, the hatcheries were so big on getting a Marans in their production, they weren't careful about culling for good egg color. Cuckoo is the most common hatchery variety, and they're becoming known for having regular brown eggs. It's disappointing cause folks order Marans specifically for the dark eggs and don't get them.

They're nice birds otherwise, usually calm and good producers. With her red comb, I'm thinking she's laying, just not the dark brown you were expecting. You can always isolate her for a few days and see which egg is hers.

She does have the feathered feet, but haven't checked skin color. She is very docile to the point she sometimes gets picked on at "treat" times. The other thing she seems to prefer the nesting box for sleeping over the roost. Some of the Brahma's do as well.

Back
Top Bottom