French Marans and Peachicks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by ruth, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    It's a busy week here on our little growing farm. Yesterday I got my order of French Marans from Black Copper King - thank you Mr. Jesse and today my peachicks arrived from Leggs Peafowl Farm. All are so cute. I've wanted peacocks for many years and spent the last three months, over 40 eggs and lots of dollars and time and Bator Watching and haven't been successful in hatching any in my little HovaBator. Mr. Legg called me Tues. morning (I had e-mailed him at one time) and asked if I would like an assortment of their more expensive birds that hatched that morning but only needed to pay the lowest priced package - he needed to get them out. "Wait let me think........YES!!!"

Here's pics of the newest members of our family.

The Marans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Peachicks - Boy do they bite already and give you "The Eye". They discovered my long red nails and really go for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They all pigged out on egg yolk mixed with chick starter and served on my fingernails. Then they all collapsed.

[​IMG]

It's going to be a busy week and the stork isn't finished yet. I have baby Nigeriean Dwarf Dairy Goats arriving Sunday. It's a regular nursery around here now.

2. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Congratulations on the babies. You have your hands full. They are so cute.

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Boy these little peachicks are the most active hyper little things I've ever seen - much more so than chicken chicks. They really bite too. Amazing for 3 days old. So far all 8 are doing great. They love to attack and eat whatever is in my hands on my nails. I was able to get them to eat by scooping food up with my nails. They nearly rip my nails off. They are going to be a handful as they get bigger.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would love to have to pea fowl. I will be watching for the photos as they grow up. Congrats on the new additions.

5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

*serious peachick envy* [​IMG]

Please, PLEASE keep us posted about the peachicks as they grow. I've wanted peafowl ever since I was a kid and a neighbor's peacock would come visit our deck and roof. Can't seem to get any mature birds around here easily, so it looks like chicks will be the only way I'll get them... someday. [​IMG]

Those Marans are lovely too, congrats on all your new additions!

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Monique, they are so cute. I second the peachic envy,lol. One of these days,I'd love to raise some.
    You are going to have your hands full,if not already. [​IMG]
    Congrats on the little ones.
    Miriam [​IMG]

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Everyone got mixed together and got to go outside and play today.

Here's Rex on guard:

[​IMG]

Some of the big girls came to check them out:

[​IMG]

Having a good time in sunshine and fresh air:

[​IMG]

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    The marans have been roosting since I put them in the Chick-N-Hutch. By day all get to go outside either on grass or dirt. Today was the first day I put them on dirt in the area where the big girls take their dirt baths. I filled the bottom of cage with dirt and they had a ball rolling in it and finding things to pick up and run with while the others chased them. I would have thought the peachicks would be bigger than the Marans at this point but it's the other way around. They all get along great and are all eating out of my hands now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooooh, they're feather-footed Marans! [​IMG]
    And isn't it fun watching them enjoy dirt so much? [​IMG]
    Thanks for the update!

10. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    they're really cute but were those pennies in the water? also is that one ok it the last pic, it seems to have a crusty bum...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by