French Wheaten [email protected] 2wks roo's or hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VioletBlueIvy, Sep 6, 2010.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I think #1&#2 are going to be roo's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of all 5 of them together...

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Post pics next week... then we'll know for sure.

3. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    You don't keep your chickies in your bathroom, do you???
    We did too!!! (Until they were 3 months olds...bad idea [​IMG] They figured out how to sit on the shower bar [​IMG] )

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    At this point there isn't anything pointing on way or the other from their looks. I agree post pictures next week.

5. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Ok! NEXT week.....(sigh)
    And, yes they are in the bathtub in my second bathroom! [​IMG] I hung a heat lamp from the towel bar and lined the tub with paper towels. I just roll up the soiled towels and toss them, then put down new ones. When they move out of there in a couple weeks super easy cleanup, spray with cleaner and turn on the shower!
    Our last batch of chicks stayed in there longer than I planned and we had a similar problem.... when someone went in to use the bathroom, they would fly out and sit on your lap! [​IMG]

6. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    they are to young to tell if they are roos or hens

7. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    I read on a Marans Club website that you can tell wheaten marans roos from hens at 2-4 weeks because males feather out black and hens feather out wheaten. Thats why I am asking now, maybe someone who breeds marans could confirm/dispute this?

8. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    Quote:oh ok i do not have any of those type of chickens that is why i don't know what they are

9. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    If I had to guess today, I think you're right. I'd pick #1 and #2 for the boys since they're feathering out darker. You'll know for sure when the breast feathers start coming in.

I NEED a wheaten pullet! My friend hatched one and gave it to me when it was about the age of yours. Of course it was boy after all...

10. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    My Mother and I are in cahoots together with these chickens, and she bought a trio of FWM from someone locally. It was supposed to be one two hens and a roo. We got two FWM roosters and an EE hen!!!! [​IMG]
    Those were the only Marans I have ever seen advertised around here, so I bought a dozen eggs from a breeder in state and am going to do it myself this time! I wish more had hatched, but it's a start! We will be making more (well, they will be) in the spring, so if you get up to ME next summer......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by