French Wheaten Marans chick - Boy or Girl?

heidimartin

Hatching
Jul 28, 2016
Hi all from Kent in the UK

I know there are some experienced french wheaten marans people on this forum so wondered if you could tell if we had a cockerel or a pullet here? Sorry for the Wyandotte bantam photobombing practically every pic, but that is mum, and she won't let us anywhere near him/her! The chick hatched nearly three weeks ago.

welcome-byc.gif
Can't help with the chick, but 'Mum' is a beauty.

spur knob projecting from the hind surface of the shank?
Hi,
Due to the lack of tail growth at this age, the smaller comb, and the presence of wing feathers at this age, I think this is a pullet.
Wait, is that a spurthenb projecting from its hind surface of the shank? If so, the cockerel. If not, then pullet.
Best,
Karen in western Pennsylvania, USA

Last edited:
Hard to tell at this age. I have some that are eiht weeks on the first and my wheaten rooster is so dark he looks BCMarans. Wait a couple more weeks and watch the coloring.

Those are some awfully dark coloration for a Wheaten pullet, and the shoulder feathers are coming in red.....I'm almost leaning more towards cockerel. If your baby starts getting black in the chest region, that would indicate cockerel, and light strawberry blonde would mean pullet.

~Alex

Thanks so much for the replies, guys! I only just checked back this morning to see all your input.

You're right that there is black in the otherwise (!) caramel coloured feathering on the wings. Will keep an eye on the chest, Alex, that's good advice! The comb looks to be redder today... he/she seems to be doubling in size every few days haha!

Will keep you updated :)

Hi, I also have some Maran chicks, hatched 3 weeks ago, on 6th and 7th Nov. They seem to all be quite dark feathered, especially on the wings. Can anyone advise me. The purple and green ringed chicks hatched one day later than orange.

Back
Top Bottom