$French Wheaten Marans$

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 24, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

What is a French Wheaten Maran worth, I'm in Australia but any help would work, they seem like nice birds (not sure if they are from a good line) the person wants minimum $50.00AUD (52.5US) per pullet but this seems to much. (I had $30AUD (31.5 US) each in mind).

The pullets are 12 weeks old.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    sounds like too much to me also. are they just utiliity birds
    / or from a proven show line? i would want show prospects for that amount. 12 weeks is young for that price. they would have been culled for quality at 8 and 12 weeks. woud still be in juvenile feathering. are they that rare in aussie? try offering 20. each. have you seen egg shells from dam and sire's dam? thats where your dark egg potential lays. i would want adult feathering and pullets laying for that price. ouch.
    karen.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. cluckcluckluke

She says they have lay nice dark eggs but that doesn't mean they are "chocolate" egg layers. She said she could never sell them for $20 which sounds ridiculous to me.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    for that money she would have to show me parent stock that she shows and has placed very well at big shows and pull abunch of almost black eggs out

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they are rare there, it may be the right price but I'd have to see the parents and the egg basket. Even if they are rare, they wouldn't be worth that unless the eggs are at least a 6 or 7 on the color chart.
    http://maransofamericaclub.com/page1.php

There are birds common in some countries but so rare in others they command those prices.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a hen unless I was starting a breeding program and that hen was perfect to add new genetics. Or just that rare. I am no expert on Austrailian breed availability but Marans in general shouldn't be that rare. I bought a banty brahma which are hard to find in Colorado from a show. The breeder/shower asked for $30. This was for a bird that did well in the show. She didn't win but she didn't score low either. And he brought them all the way from Nebraska to this show. That's one heck of a drive. And then he threw in a another hen to keep her company just because. So $15 each for two show quality pullets, and they were already laying!

7. cluckcluckluke

Thank you so much guys, I am still needing a bit of help though- I have enquire about her Marans before I put this thread up so have started haggling with her as her add said negotiable. I said I would be willing to pay $20 each (I only want 2) they are 12 weeks old, she then said she was hoping to het at least $50 for 1 pullet[​IMG]and said she could not do 20 each but would do 40, I then replied saying I suppose I could do 30 each and I have had no reply for half a day. We where talking with about a half an hour gap, but now she has just stopped.
    Do you think I have offended her?#
    Also I was planning on telling her I asked a few friends ( which would be you guys ) saying that your prices are to much and I would have to see the parents and the egg basket. But how would I put it all together? can you guys & gals please PLEASE help me with this as I am dying to get some Marans even if they are not from a top line.

I don't know what to offer in return if you help me? I cant ship anything to you? I will have a think. please help. LUKE.

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ouch. Either those ARE very rare birds in Australia or the lady is desperate. :/

Is there any way for you to search around for another source of Marans? If you can find someone else with them cheaper then that might help, either by having someone else to go to or having a lower comparable price to show her.

Good luck.

9. cluckcluckluke

That's a good idea but I have searched around here and there are not many, I will look near Sydney and all that.

10. cluckcluckluke

UPDATE: She just replied back saying she wont go under $40 each and she says that she knows they are hard to come by and are worth a lot. She also gave me some prices of a man in Victoria who sell his Marans, he sells his fertile eggs form $80-$100 for 1 doz. [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by