frequency of egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ktjay563, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Ktjay563

Ktjay563 Hatching

Aug 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have 6 chickens approximately 16 weeks old, I have 2 that seem to be laying, I presently am getting about 1-2 eggs a day, inconsistently though they seem to skip a day here and there. Is that normal? And when do the rest of the girls start producing? I wish I could tell you the type of chicken I have, but my husband and daughter had picked them out and other then Plymouth Bard (which I have 2 of) I do not know what the other 4 are.

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Pullets will usually be inconsistent when they first start laying. They have to work up to their individual regular schedule, if that makes sense. As far as your others, some breeds do take longer than others. 16 weeks is actually fairly early to start. A good indicator that they are getting ready is when their combs and wattles turn a bright red. They may also squat for you. You will probably hear the egg song from most of them.
    Good luck!

3. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I've got the same problem! Three different hens we've physically seen laying an egg, but then only 1 or 2 eggs a day! It's frustrating.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. Ktjay563

Ktjay563 Hatching

Aug 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have seen them squat, I have even seen them hanging in on the nests, but no production, and every time I hear their song I try to check, but end up with no egg. I usually find one mid morning and one late afternoon. I guess I am just being anxious I love going out and seeing the eggs. [​IMG]

5. roverjohn

roverjohn Chirping

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    If you quit running in there every time you hear them squawk they may relax a bit. If one of mine is on the nest and I show up with a snack or something they instantly jump off the nest and come see me. Plus 16 weeks is really early. Most don't start till around 18-20 weeks and some a bit longer than that.

6. Ktjay563

Ktjay563 Hatching

Aug 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    thanks, I will refrain from checking in so much [​IMG] So what kind of snacks or treats do you feed your chickens?

7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Mine just started laying last weekend, and I've managed to catch a few of them in the act since they seem to lay around noon usually. I've started grabbing a few cherry tomatoes out of the garden on my way to the coop, and if I catch a girl on the nest I wait for the egg and then give her a tomato while she recovers. They're so out of it at first that I have to split open the tomato and get the juice on their beak - then it's like they suddenly wake up and the entire tomato is gone in seconds. Makes my day every time, and then I don't feel so guilty grabbing the egg out from under them while the bloom is still wet... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by