FREQUENCY of USE of AMPROL & SULFA drugs in TREATMENT of COCCI

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sherpagirl, Aug 7, 2011.

1. sherpagirl

sherpagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Can anyone tell me how often I can add AMPROL to the water of chicks that seem to keep having outbreaks of cocci? How about the sulfa drugs SULMET and SULFADIMETHOXINE? I think i may have overdosed my chicks switching back and forth between the drugs trying to get rid of the cocci. I can't find any information about frequency of use. Someone told me I could use AMPROL as often as I wanted that it was very safe. I didn't use the drugs back to back with no resting times, I did have times when they were getting a lot of probiotics and other good things, garlic, yogurt, ACV, DE. But I may have overdone it with the drugs.

2. lovemyprettybirds

lovemyprettybirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi Sherpagirl:

Please forgive me if I've overlooked the obvious; but, why do you think you may have overused the drugs? Here is a link to a poultry keeping fact sheet that has been particularly helpful for me:

http://web.uconn.edu/poultry/poultrypages/diseasefactsheet.html

There is a good bit of information on coccidiosis near the bottom of the page. It says this about cocci: "Prevent by keeping birds dry; feed 0.0125% Amprol continuously to 8 weeks of age. Amprol @ 1/3 oz. Powder/gallon water 10-14 days for treatment."

And, it says this about sulfa drugs: "one should be careful with sulfa drugs, as they can be toxic when given too long or in too high dosages. Never give sulfa drugs to laying hens."

It also says that Amprol is a very safe drug and explains that the idea is to"leave enough coccidia alive to permit the build-up of immunity to coccidiosis in the growing pullet." And that as a preventive measure, you can give chicks coccidiostats from day-old until 12-15 weeks of age.

I'm not sure if this is the info you were looking for, but I hope you will eventually get the help you need!

3. lovemyprettybirds

lovemyprettybirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi again:

Just read your post on another thread explaining all the details. Now I understand why you think you may have OD'd them. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Hang in there!

4. sherpagirl

sherpagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi,
    Yes, I have read that UCONN info and i think I have a plan from here on out with new groups of chicks. i didn't have any problem with cocci the first 2 years but with this one group of chicks this year I've been all over the place. The UCONN article gave me some ideas.
    All of the articles tell you to be careful with the frequency of sulfa drugs. I had it in my head that the waiting time before you can treat again was 3 weeks, I did wait 4, but maybe i was supposed to waiiit 6 weeks? Or even longer?
    And the AMPROL? Can't find info on safe usage?
    Maybe someone out there knows the answer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by