1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frequent broody plan hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mugs, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mugs

Mugs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Wisconsin
    My Americauna is a little over a year. I've had her since she was 8 months. She's never been a good layer. I think she's had three periods where she lays for a couple of weeks and then goes broody and doesn't lay.

Actually it seems this is probably a normal pattern for a hen. But not a desirable behavior for a backyard hen kept for eggs. It would be nice to just let her do her thing and raise babies but that's not an option for this suburban girl.

Does anyone else have hens like this?

When she is broody I try all of the things suggested to get her out of it but it seems that she just goes by her own schedule and nothing changes the behavior.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have a bantum frizzled cochin that is exactly like this. Its basically month on, month off. I feel like she is broody constantly. I have tried to break her in the past (and maybe I didn't have the heart to be strict enough about it) but it didn't seem to help much. I have a little stone egg and now I just leave her alone and let her make all of her crazy dinosaur noises. I wish I wanted/were able to hatch lots of chicks.

3. Mugs

Mugs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have tried to break her of it with no luck at all! I feel like maybe I should trade her with someone that wants a hen to hatch chicks so she can fulfill her destiny. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by