Fresh chick head vibrating back and forth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anethema, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Anethema

Anethema Chirping

Sep 1, 2017
    Northern BC, Canada
    I have a fresh from the egg Belgian D'Uccle. It hatched maybe 2 days early. Shipped eggs and only 3/12 eggs even began to develop. The other 2 eggs have not even pipped yet. He unzipped on his own.

Anyways, he is out walking around in the incubator still which is still at 37 degrees. There is a fan as it is not a still-air incubator. But I peeked in at him and his head is like...Vibrating? The beak is shaking left and right super fast. Almost like he is shivering/cold but its very toasty in there. He has only been out of the egg 8 hours so far, and its moist in there so he hasn't even begun to fluff yet.

Here is a video, but it was VERY difficullt to capture just because of how fast his head was shaking haha.

I'm sure he's prob fine and it will go away, but figure'd I'd ask just in case it could be serious and there is some intervention I should be doing.

Thanks BYC!

Rose Quartz likes this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Do you have a warm brooder ready?

3. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    If your other 2 eggs are unpipped you should move him to the brooder. I had a lot of my chicks shivering in the incu from the fan blowing.

Sequel and Texas Kiki like this.
  4. Anethema

Anethema Chirping

Sep 1, 2017
    Northern BC, Canada
    Great I will do that.

Rose Quartz and Sequel like this.
  5. Anethema

Anethema Chirping

Sep 1, 2017
    Northern BC, Canada
    Just an update even in a very roasty brooder, he still sometimes has his head shaking. He doesn't appear to be cold, just vibrates his beak back and forth sometimes.

Rose Quartz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: