Fresh Corn on the Cob for Goose?

WilmaP

In the Brooder
May 29, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
I think I read that geese like corn on the cob, so I got some today for my gander. How should I feed it to him? I assume I should take the leaves and silk off, but should I leave the cob whole? He's not a particularly adventuresome eater. I offered him some watermelon and a watermelon rind today - he tasted it, shook his head no, and ignored it! Lettuce is about the only treat he likes - he even likes my husband if he's offering lettuce!
t1HikWBFSze0i7x7LGRUjg.jpg

Geese are naturally suspicious of new food, but I've never met a goose, duck, or chicken that doesn't LOVE fresh corn, once they figure out how wonderful it is.

Agree to shuck corn first, but leave whole on the cob.

Is it sweet corn or feed corn? If it's sweet corn they should have no trouble eating it right off the cob if you remove the husk first. Feed corn is a bit tougher and depending how dry it is/isn't it might impact how you feed it.

I tried the corn on the cob yesterday. They looked at it but wouldn't touch it until I took a bite. They looked at each other like if mom likes it then maybe it's safe. After Levi took one bite, they went to town on the corn. Ended up being empty cobs with not a crumb leftover. Silly geese like I would give them a treat that tasted bad.

I was about to say that you should pretend to eat it first and then they will usually follow suit. Geese are picky, mine love watermelon but won’t eat any type of berry or cucumber. They love apples and brussel sprouts on the stem. Good luck

Geese are naturally suspicious of new food, but I've never met a goose, duck, or chicken that doesn't LOVE fresh corn, once they figure out how wonderful it is.

Agree to shuck corn first, but leave whole on the cob.
What does "shuck corn" mean? I have heard that Canada geese are notorious for landing and feasting In Corn fields... Is it bad for them to leave the "corn cover leaves" and "hairs" on the corn when you feed it to them?

What does "shuck corn" mean? I have heard that Canada geese are notorious for landing and feasting In Corn fields... Is it bad for them to leave the "corn cover leaves" and "hairs" on the corn when you feed it to them?
Shucking corn is removing the husk (the outer layer of green wrapping/leaves). I think Canada geese eat whatever corn is left in the field after it has been machine harvested, so there's lots of loose grain and cobs strewn about.

Back
Top Bottom