Fresh Egg Mayo Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by RedHead, Oct 26, 2009.

1. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    I haven't made Mayo in quite some time, but seeing as we ran out and I have plenty of fresh eggs now, I decided to try and see how fresh from the chicken's butt eggs did in a mayo. I figured I'd share my experience/recipe with yall.
    This recipe is for only one egg yolk.
    1 egg yolk
    1 cup of some type of vegetable oil
    White Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    oh and I eyeball my vinegar and lemon juice so next time I make a batch I'll try to get measurements for you guys
    Kosher salt to taste
    paprika to taste (optional)
    Let all of your ingredients come to room temperature before you begin.
    [​IMG]
    Whisk your egg yolk. I do mine by hand (very tiring lol) but you can use a stand mixer to save your arm if you'd like if you've got one.
    [​IMG]
    Keep whisking while you add a drop or two of vinegar or lemon juice. The acid in the vinegar or lemon juice will help make your emulsion more stable.
    [​IMG]
    Just add one drop of oil while whisking as fast as you can.
    [​IMG]
    Keep whisking while slowly adding oil. Just slowly dribble it, you don't want to break your emulsion.
    As the emulsion builds you can start to add the oil a little bit more quickly, but not too quick.
    [​IMG]
    It should be looking more like mayo now and adding the oil quicker, you can also add a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice at this point to moisten things up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    If your arm feels like it's going to fall off, then you know you're doing it right lol.
    Keep whisking and adding oil until you're out of oil and you're mayo is the right consistency. You can then add lemon juice or vinegar and kosher salt to taste.
    [​IMG]
    I used only white vinegar for my batch, But you can use either vinegar or lemon juice or both.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy! [​IMG]
    Excuse my kitchen, it's a mess from last night lol

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Wow, that is so cool. Can't wait to try it.

D

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Very Nice RedHead. Your mayo looks great

Making mayo is hard work without a mixer. You probably win every arm wrestling match you've been in. [​IMG]

Imp

4. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    lol well I think between the mayo and the belt sander I've been using for the past few days (refinishing the floors) I'd probably win a few [​IMG] I haven't arm wrestled in a few years though [​IMG]

5. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the reminder of Things To Do With Eggs [​IMG]

I cheat & make mayo in my blender, but maybe my "Bingo Wings" could benefit from some armtime using the whisk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by