Fresh Eggs - & Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 25bengood2me, Nov 28, 2009.

1. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    [​IMG] I have a friend that insists NO Running WATER should be used to wash freshly hatched eggs. She claims that a cloth, dipped in hot soapy water, then rinsed as needed is all you should use in cleaning eggs. We argued, my "auntie" taught me to dunk each egg in warm soapy water, then rinse and air dry. What method do YOU advise for cleaning eggs?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    They really don't need to be cleaned at all. As the hen lays the egg, she adds a last layer to it called "bloom" and it protects the egg from bacteria. Washing the egg washes off the bloom.

If you're one of those people who feel more comfortable with washed eggs. Wash in warm water, no soap. The egg is porous, and you don't want soap getting inside. Using water warmer than the egg will make the egg "sweat" which will keep the dirty water from going into the pores. Make sure to refridgerate washed eggs, since you've just washed off the bloom.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't wash mine either. I just keep the nest boxes clean and that takes care of 99% of the eggs when I do have a 1% dirty egg I wipe it dry with a cloth and don't wash til I'm ready to use it for cooking. I don't sell the dirty eggs.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I just wipe my off with a dry rag, if really messy, then I would use fine grit sandpaper & lightly rub the spot off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by