1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fresh eggs....horrible gas...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lancasterflock, Oct 25, 2015.

1. lancasterflock

lancasterflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I have been reluctant that last few days to post about this. Google is not giving me the answers I'm looking for so I figured my BYC friends could help. Lol.
    I apologize for being gross but here goes;
    I was ecstatic when I got my first egg a couple days ago. So excited that I went right in and fried it up. A few hours after eating the egg my tummy started rumbling and well.....the gas I am having has a strong sulfur smell. Is this normal? I mean to the point my husband is saying "if that's how it's gonna be you can't eat their eggs"..... Nooooo!!! Lol I worked so hard to have girls for fresh eggs. Thoughts?

Again, I'm sorry for being gross and was'nt sure where to post a question like this. I looked in the " chicken recipes forum" and did'nt think that was much appropriate as folks over there are looking to put together their next meal, not engage someone about their bad gas.....lol

2. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    Sometimes when I fry eggs I get really bad gas so I always scramble my eggs. It's probably not the egg is probably the way you cooked it.

3. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    If you are used to eating store bought eggs then the change of the eggs might have upseted your stomach. Farm eggs are much better than store bought, but the farm eggs have much more stuff since the hens are happy. Your stomach might have not liked the change in eggs. If it's your first egg that your hen layer she might have done something to the egg while it was forming. That happens with beginning layers.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you Skyler and shelley!I will try scrambling them and see if that helps. And yes shelley , they are far more rich than store bought eggs. But super super good :)

5. shodack

shodack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    I bet your body will adjust to them in a short time! Don't give up!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I had the opposite problem, store bought eggs would make me feel sick the rest of the day. Fresh eggs do not. I never used to eat eggs, now I eat them every day. Like others have said, I'm sure your digestive system will adjust soon.

7. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Shodack and happy chooks; I'm thrilled to report that after about 5 days the eggs no longer bother my tummy!!! Yay!!! :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    been eating their rggs for quite a while.. could my chickens have something like worms or colum perfgines or giurdia or eating something to cause US to be so " sulfurous gaseous"?" or something in ther feed or out in the field they are eating? I only scramble mine...
    thanks yall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by