Fresh eggs: Refrigerator or nah?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinaAndAmy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. TinaAndAmy

TinaAndAmy New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    My chickens have just started laying! PTL. :)

I have eaten both eggs immediately, but am wondering what I should do with the ones I will eat later? What are your thoughts on refrigeration? Any solid proof of why one is better than another?

Thank you!!!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I only refrigerate eggs if they need to be washed, otherwise store them on the counter until used or sold.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The only reason that most eggs in the U.S. are sold refrigerated, is because they wash the protective bloom off the eggs. If you don't wash the bloom off, they are fine sitting at room temp for a few weeks.

4. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually keep them on the counter unless I have a lot and then I refrigerate some of them, but either way I do not wash them unless there is a lot of poo on them, even then if there is a little I still won't wash it till I go to actually use it. Many of my friends don't refrigerate their eggs as well.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I should add that once eggs have been refrigerated, they must stay refrigerated to prevent contamination.

6. wingedshade

wingedshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    I guess you could do either. When I was younger we left them out because we didn't have a fridge and the coolers with ice was reserved for milk and meat. I know we ate a lot of sunny side up eggs and no one got sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by