fresh eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the 412 chicks, Sep 10, 2009.

1. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    How long are eggs able to be in the fridge but still considered fresh.

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    for your own consumption or for sale?
    if i am not mistaken a fresh egg will float and a not so fresh egg will sink if placed in a glass of water

3. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    Fresh eggs definitely don't float! [​IMG] If it floats don't eat it.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If it floats - give it to the dog. I'm 99% sure the last one was still good, but the dog got it anyway to be sure. Their stomachs are so much tougher than ours.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Here you go from Wiki.

Farmers have 30 days from the day an egg is laid to get it to stores. Then, the stores have another 30 days to sell the eggs. The FDA recomends a maximum of 5 weeks in your refrigerator before you discard your eggs. What does this all boil down to? On April 1st, you could be eating an egg for breakfast laid on Christmas. *Someone who talked with an egg farmer was told from the day it was laid, the egg has 30 days. I assume that means until the sale date, but that was not made clear. *Even if that is true, keep in mind that farmers generally get their eggs to stores within a week, and both the "pack date" and "sell by" date are stamped onto the carton. The numbers run from 1-365 depending on the day of the year. Lastly, there is a big difference in taste between farm fresh eggs and one week old eggs. If you want the freshest eggs, you can buy from a local farmer. *

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like you would find this article interesting. It's a long read but I think worth it.

Storing Eggs
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

An egg has an air sac in one end. As the egg ages, it loses moisture and the air sac enlarges. At some point, the air sac gets large enough that the egg floats. It depends some on how the egg is stored, especialy heat and humidity, but an egg that floats is normally older than an egg that sinks if the eggs have been stored under similar conditions.

An egg that sinks is not necessarily good or one that floats necessarily bad, but it is a good guideline. I always crack an egg in a separate bowl to inspect it before I add it to the pan or a recipe, regardless of how fresh it is. If you find a hidden nest with several eggs in it, the float test is a good way to determine which eggs to try and which get fed to the dog or back to the chickens.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Yeah I read one similar to that one where Mother News did an experiment with how long the eggs would last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by