Fresh Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickschool, Jul 31, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    How long can an egg stay fresh without refrigeration? They are so pretty and I'd love to keep them in a bowl on the counter but everyone keeps freaking out like they are going to spoil the second the chicken lays it. [​IMG]

2. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Also, after they are put in the frig how long will they last?

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you dont wash them and your house stays cool which should not be a problem up in Traverse City, they can last at least a month. In Europe they dont refrigate their eggs.

I have mine in this on the counter.
    [​IMG]

4. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    That is exactly how I would like to see mine. Thank you so much but why can't you wash them? Usually give mine a little rinse in cool water. Are you saying I shouldn't do that at all?

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I wouldn't.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You are rinsing the bloom off, which will hasten spoilage, but they will still last quite a while. Something like 6 months in the refrig, 4 months at room temp. I do rinse poopy ones, but only those, and eggs never last more than a couple of weeks around here. Store bought are generally around a month old.

Mother Earth News did an extensive study on this, and on various methods of storing them. Just Google if you're interested, it's not hard to find.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Much depends on what your local room temperature is. This time of year here in Florida in my house room temperature during the day is in the low to mid-eighties. There will be a noticeable quality loss in just a couple of days if I were to leave them sitting on the kitchen counter. They would not be unsafe to eat, but you'd be able to discern a difference in how watery the whites were and how thin the yolk is when compared to an egg laid that day.

The cooler the better (within reason) for maintaining the quality of your eggs.

8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

If your going to leave them on the counter do not wash them. You will remove the bloom that keeps the egg sealed from bacteria. I wash them right before I eat them.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by