Fresh Foods?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmullikin8, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mmullikin8

mmullikin8 Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Hi There-

I am new at this whole chicken thing- I am wondering besides chick starter what other foods can I feed my coming 3 week old chicks? I feel like they are getting board of chick starter- I know I would be! Thank you!!

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover! You can give them treats but not all the time when they are that young.They get the nutrients and vitamins from the chick starter to help hem grow. For treats you could give meal worms, earthworms, and leafy greens such as lettuce or kale. You could also take the chick starter and add water and make it to the consistency of oatmeal and they will think its a treat as well.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. mmullikin8

mmullikin8 Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Seems like a dumb question- but do I have to chop the leafy greens small or will they be ok? What about veggies or fruits? At what age are they ok to have other larger things? Thanks for the help!!

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Just give it to them you don't need to chop it up. I would say about 6 weeks is when you can have anything basically. My chickens love watermelon, peaches, and other soft fruits.

5. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Check out the Treat Chart. Most of the trimmings from preparing a salad are appropriate for chickens. Mine love picking at the seeds in the core of a bell pepper. They love grapes. Make sure they have grit - a coffee can lid of play sand seems to be working well for us. If you have dandelions in your yard ... and who doesnt? ... dig one up and throw the whole thing in the brooder, dirt and all. They will eat it, scratch at it, play with it, and be exposed to your local environment.

1 person likes this.
  6. mmullikin8

mmullikin8 Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Can my 3 week old chicks have anything on this "treat list" or do I have to wait until they are a bit older?

7. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    We started at about 3 weeks with treats. Make sure grit is available. Don't be surprised if the chicks don't know what to do with treats. The first batch of bell pepper cores were played-with more than eaten.

As with anything, start simple and work up from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by