Fresh fruit, veggies, and meats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by casadezorola, Nov 8, 2015.

1. casadezorola

casadezorola Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Hello everyone!!

My flock is a dozen members strong, and 8/12 are laying (the other 4 should be any day now!).

I believe they are getting bored with just their later crumble and random heads of lettuce here and there.

What are some things they CANNOT eat? What do your girls enjoy the most?

Any tips or tricks or toys to fight boredom that are tried and true?

Thanks again!

2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    Meat is good, and so are most veggies. I've heard things with a lot of citrus are bad.

3. zekintha

zekintha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Long Island
    My girls love corn, lettuce, kale, cucumbers, tomatoes, the inside from
    An melons, all types of berries, grapes....

I've read not to give them raw potatoes (my sister gave them a raw pitatoe and they wouldn't even touch it) but they live mashed potatoes.

4. TrialandError

TrialandError Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    I just gave mine a pumpkin. Although they were terrifed of it for a couple days they finally started eating on it today.

5. gill78

gill78 New Egg

Jul 10, 2015
    I have heard not to feed the hens rhubarb, green potato, citrus and onion.
    I also found that my hens will eat anything they like or is good for them, but won't eat what is not good for them.
    My hens like sweetcorn, especially in the summer if I freeze it in a little water in an ice cube container. They will sit and eat/drink it until it is gone.

6. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Mine get some scraps from the house, but not a ton, plus breads, fruits, and veggies I buy/get for free from the grocer. I bring out little bits of bread, fruits, veggies, and meats. I don't feed them a lot of fat from the meat though, just small amounts contained in the meat.

Mine love:
    mangoes (no pit)
    bananas (no peel)
    apples (no seeds or peel)
    watermelon
    spinach
    a little iceberg lettuce
    hamburger
    pork
    steak
    rice
    spaghetti noodles
    breads/rolls

I cut everything up pretty small. So far, that's about all I have given them. Not all at the same time, but offered at different times on different days.

I bring out small snack portions twice a day. Morning and evening. I will bring out 3 cut up bananas in the morning, and then some leftovers from dinner in the evening. Or I will bring out 3 cut up apples in the morning, and then bread in the evening (I don't give bread every day though since I've been told not to give too much, I offer a couple times a week in small portions and they love it)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by