Fresh herbs instead of vitamins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Essentialnative, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Essentialnative

Essentialnative New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Could i feed my flock fresh herbs, cilantro, basil,parsley,sage,oregano and kale daily for vitamins? The herbs and kale have lots of vitamins in them my girls are about 4 weeks now. Can i feed a small amount daily? What are everyones thoughts/feedback?

2. Essentialnative

Essentialnative New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Im gonna add it to their food.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If you feed it like you would other treats, it should be fine. My chicks started getting chopped herbs when they were about a week old (with grit provided). They've had dill, oregano, parsley, and cilantro. They've also had greens such as kale, collards, and mustard greens. And finely diced garlic. All are doing great.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Why are you needing to add vitamins?
    If your feeding a regular poultry feed there is n need to worry about adding anything to there diet for vitamins, its already in there feed.

Yes the herbs and greens that you mentioned have vitamins and minerals BUT there not going to meet there vitamin/ mineral needs because there not at the right levels so you would best off just feeding the herbs and greens as a treat. (All treat in total should be less than 10% of there diet)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by