fresh homemade butter question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by d1, May 15, 2010.

1. d1

d1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Where did you get the milk from?

3. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I grew up on a dairy farm in the Ozarks and I can tell you that the milk wasn't "clean" is a crock. We made our own butter from the cream which we saved and we let the cream sour and we loved the taste but you can make butter from sweet cream just takes longer to turn to butter. which ever you use sweet or sour cream wash your butter in cool water until all the milk is out of the butter, you can work the butter in the cool water and then take the butter out of the water and work the butter with a spoon or you hands and drain or force the water out of the butter. salt the butter and work in the salt. nothing taste better than home churned butter.
    I will tell you a story my mother told me, In the 1940's we lived at Carrollton Arkansas and people would bring their extra butter to sell to the story at carrollton. One day this LADY came in and rather than sell her butter she wants to trade her pat of butter for one that the store had bought early that day. The grocery store owner, Mr. Hugh Morris asked her why she wanted to trade her butter for someone elses butter. She said that a mouse fell into the crock where she kept her cream and drown and she could not eat the butter because she knew that a mouse had died in the cream crock but if someone else had her butter they would not know about the mouse and what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them. The butter would be fine for them to use.
    The grocery owner took the ladies butter in the back of his store and unwrapped her butter placing it on paper that the store used and brought her the newly wrapped butter and she went home happy with her butter. Mr. Morris said what she doesn't know wont hurt her.

4. MamaDoula

MamaDoula Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Hills of Tenn!
    Maybe it means fresh milk that may have been contaminated by a dirty container or something? Beats me. Did you rinse it with water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by