Fresh Pappradelle Pasta & Condimento

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Sep 25, 2011.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple years ago a friend told me about a fabulous meal of pappradelle pasta with exotic mushrooms. This is an old world Italian woman who is no food slouch. So one time in Little Italy I found some fresh pappradelle and yeah it was heavenly. Can't be going all the way to Little Italy every time I wanna make my wife a great meal, so I learned (all over) how to make great fresh pasta and bought that great 3 roller set for my KitchenAid mixer (the KPRA). My wife's a sucker for eggplant and if I hide it in enough other vegetables I'll eat it too. Hope you try this, even without a fancy roller you can roll out your own dough and hand cut the odd rectangles I call pappradelle.

Mis en place:

Pasta
    2 cups semolina flour
    1 tsp salt
    4-5 eggs
    1/2 cup ICE WATER
    more semolina for rolling

Condimento

3 bell peppers (red, yellow and green) large chunks
    2 medium onions, large chunks
    1 large eggplant, large chunks
    1 long mild chile (optional)
    2 TBLS chopped garlic
    1 Tbls Herbs de Provence, or a big handful of fresh herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
    1/2 cup EVO
    20 oz. diced tomtaoes
    1/2 cup chopped oil cured olives (the crinkly black ones)
    1 14 oz can of Chick Peas (washed and drained)

1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preparation:

(by hand method, Part 1) On a large table make a well with the flour, add salt and break the eggs into it one at a time as you pull flour from the edge toward center with one hand to combine. Once all the eggs are combined add a small amount of the ice water until it comes together. Knead on a floured surface about 5 minutes. Place in food storage bag refrigerated 2 hours.

In a KitchenAid put flour and salt in, using the dough hook start mixer, add eggs one at a time on medium speed. Work dough about a minute, it'll look sloppy at first. Add a little bit of the water but let that dough hook work the gluten in the flour. Add a tad more ice water at a time but ease off on it so you don't end up with really wet dough. Knead a total of 5 minutes. You may have to hold the mixer bowl in place as it'll get tossed around from working the gluten of that semolina. Remove and place in a plastic storage bag at least 2 hours in the fridge.

(By hand method Part 2): Flour that work surface and shape the dough into a rectangle. Cut into four sections and put 3 aside covered. Roll the first out on a floured surface until you have a long thing shape, it doesn't have to be perfectly rectangular. You want it thicker than uncooked lasagna sheet by a tad. Lay over a tea towel on the back of a chair. Repeat process. Let dry 2 hours, then cut into 1 1/2 x 2 hunks - it's rustic so it doesn't have to be geometrically perfect. Repeat with remaining dough. Set aside.

(KitchenAid roller method). Using rolling attachment: push dough into a rectangle and cut into four sections. Set roller on 8 and run each floured piece thru once, fold and roll again. Lay the rolled sheets aside on a tea towel until they're done. Then drop rollers down 6 and repeat rolling, then fold and roll again on each sheet. Now drop rollers down to 4 and roll each sheet thru. Lay each long sheet over a tea towel to dry 2 hours. Then cut into rustic 1 1/2 x 2 pieces. Set aside until service.

[​IMG]

Condimento Preparation:

Add 5 Tbls EVO into a hot dutch oven on high heat. Add bell pepper chunks, sauté 2 minutes. Then add onions and sauté 2 minutes. Add eggplant and 3 more TBLS EVO, add salt & pepper and give everything a good toss. That eggplant will suck up a lot of oil at first so watch it. Saute about 4 minutes - now add the chopped garlic and mild green chile, the Herbs de Provence and sauté and stir occasionally about 5 more minutes. Now add the 20 oz can diced tomatoes. the chopped olives and 1 cup water. Lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add drained chick peas and simmer 5 more minutes.

[​IMG]

Bring large pot of heavily salted water to boil, add the pasta and cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally so the sheets don't clump together until the sheets float and are nice and soft. Add a ladle of the starchy pasta water to your condimento, remove pasta with a spider basket and add to the condimento - toss well and simmer on high heat about 60 seconds, Remove from heat and add about 1 cup grated parmesan. Our Friend Anna who inspired this dish brought us a small bottle of Truffle Oil back from Italy, I drizzled about 2 Tbls. Truffle Oil over the finished dish. Anna this recipe is for you !!

[​IMG]

It's what's for dinner !!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Ok Mike, you are KILLING me and me trying to be gluten free!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanna see you do that with gluten free homemade pasta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    See, the gauntlet is thown................

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    BTW, my son just dropped off about 3 or 4 pounds of fresh mushrooms he found in the woods, ie, oysters, hen of the woods, puffballs......... yummmo.
    Sounds like I will be making some wild mushroom risotto tonight.
    I wish you were closer, he said he picked over 6 garbage bags and is in the process of drying them. He better remember his mama is all I can say.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Ooooh making your own pasta sounds fun! I always wanted to learn how but thought it required a machine as those ladies on tv have to run it through a machine to get spaghetti noodles.
    I like Linguine better.. I don't like thick pasta at all though. Maybe I can chop, chop away until I have linguine noodles? Hehe!

Do you cook fresh pasta as long as you would the dry stuff that comes in a box? I would think less time becasue of the moisture content?

I want to make cheese Noodles. Like cheese surrounded by pasta, but thin like Linguine. [​IMG]

5. bigmike&nan

Out of boredom with our usual fare we're having the pappradelle but I'm sautéing chopped cabbage, onions and garlic with a little red pepper flake, meanwhile I will have boiling salted water already going and cook the pappradelle which takes about 6 minutes to come ready (it's thicker), once the vegetables are wilting I'm adding a drained/rinsed can of black eye peas, some chicken stock and white wine, will cook it down some so the flavors richen. Fish the pasta out with a spider basket and add it to the pot, simmer about 90 seconds so all combines and then take it off the heat, add some grated reggianno and hit it with a cup of fresh chopped flat leaf parsley. Will be quite good... A number of other canned beans work well like this: garbonza, red beans, large white beans (cannellinni).
    Good rustic food. We're pairing it with a fresh caesar's salad, good warm night food that won't make the house too hot.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. bigmike&nan

Instincts, improvisation and hot day Friday. Got everything prepped for the pasta dish, and Caesar's Salad - waiting for my wife to bring home a big container of already peeled garlic cloves. Cut the pasta after it dried into sort of abstract squared shapes - put my heavy pan on high heat and started cooking. Made Caesar's salad dressing in a small jar, but had about 3 anchovies left over. Took some fresh herbs off the deck put them and a few cloves of garlic 10 or so pitted calamata and oil cured olives and the three anchovies in my blender/chopper work jar and pureed all that, added 1/3 cup of EVO to it and got this lovely fragrant runny paste. Sauteed that a few minutes and then added the cabbage and onions, when the onions were clear I added a cup of white wine and a cup of chicken stock and let it reduce about 30% in volume, plopped the papparadelle into the boiling salted water and just before it was ready added the black eyed peas to the sauté pan. Then removed the pasta pieces with a big spider basket and gave it all about 90 seconds on high heat so the pasta absorbed a lot of the flavor and the pasta also thickened the "sauce" a bit. Took it off the heat and added about 1 1/2 cups fresh grated parm and a cup of chopped parsley. Gave it all a good stir. Really was so good. My wife opted to skip the Caesar's Salad and just have the pasta (very unlike her, I think that is a vote for the pasta).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by