1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Fresh Water every day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momofthree, May 28, 2010.

1. momofthree

momofthree Songster

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    I have a 3 gallon waterer and only 12 chicks....that thing stays full for quite a while. Do i really need to empty out and give fresh water every day? it seems like a waste of water to me.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Officially, yes, you should give fresh water every day. Do I? No not usually. We have 4 different pens - 1 5 gal, 1 3 gal, and 2 smaller waterers. I will change them every other day or as soon as it is dirty. Have the waterers up to the height of their backs, it will reduce debris in them. In the summer/warm weather, fresh water is nicer for the birds.

3. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I agree with happyhensy. I have two 3 gallon waters for 14 chicks. I change mine every other day, or when low, BUT, when it's hot, I give them fresh every day. They *LOVE* fresh cool water when it's hot.

Jen

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    They need access to clean water at all times. This does not necessarily mean you have to refill the drinker every day.

I use five gallon drinkers in my tractors. In the hot season such as now I refill them twice a week. Possibly three times if we're having a real heat wave. In the winter I only need fill them once a week.

Do make sure the water stays in the shade. Nothing likes drinking hot water. Also raise it up off the ground enough that they cannot scratch dirt and litter into it. You'll get at least a little dirt off their beaks but a little is tolerable. A lot needs correcting.

Check the drinker every day for a while to see how the water looks. If it's getting nasty then change it. If not then twice a week is plenty.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I stopped using the official chicken waterers and went to plastic dishpans. I keep them at the edge of the run so every day I can stick the hose in and refresh the water. Once a week I scrub them down thoroughly to keep algae and slime from growing. It's been working great for me!

Dishpans from the local dollar store last 3-4 years.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:That is a great idea! Way cheaper than those big, HEAVY waterers.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If they are outside I prefer fresh water as I don't want anything to start to grow in the heat.
    You could just not fill it so full. Chickens back wash and the water gets slimy even though you can see it.

8. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chirping

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You should ALWAYS give your chickens Clean Fresh Water everyday! I give fresh water to mine twice a day and clean with a brush their waters everytime. You should had a drop of bleach to each waterer in this heat to keep your chickens from getting diseases.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:That's great that you are able to do that for your birds, but not everyone has that kind of time...

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I pretty much do what ranchhand does but I use big tubs which were 55gal drums cut down and not dishpans. I also have some of those tire rubber water pans. I generally change those once a day, but if and when I switch over to my 5 gal bucket waterers it's sometimes every 2-3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by