Fresh Water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickschool, Oct 29, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    How hard is it to train your chickens to use a nipple waterer? Do they get enough? Does anyone know if you can train ducks to use one? And my biggest question...does anyone make a waterer that keeps the water level constant AND has a filter to be sure the water is always clean?

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I have 13 jumbo BobWhites .And 8 A&M Cots in 3 dif coops,no one is laying,there resting tell next year.They been on waters all along.What a Pain.Bought some red nipple waters about 2.00 each E-Bay .Installed in 1/2 PVC pipe cap and plumbed up to overhead water bottle.Put them in at a height that they had to reach up a little to use.I was worried too about them figuring it out(so I pulled up a chair with a cool one planning on a long wait.)Within a few minutes one walked up to it and pecked at the SS shaft sticking out then proceded to get a drink then here come the rest MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO.Its been over 2 weeks and no one seems dehydrated or any problems.So in less than I beer they had it!!!!...cva34

3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:I just held their head, and tickled the waterer with their beak. They have a 'oh my gosh' look in their eyes when you do it. It is kinda fun to watch. They all watch each other and learn. We did it to a few birds cause it was fun to watch, but I don't think you need to.

We don't put a filter on, they will drink water out of the road, puddles, almost anywhere. You can see our setup, which is semi-automatic on our page. The problem I have experienced with auto waterers is if the valve fails you end up with a huge mess. If you fill with a hose, you can have it drip and adjust the flow. That way if there is an over flow, it is minimal.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My chicks used a hamster waterer when they were little. I dunno how this compares to nipple feeders, but chicks are curious and smart and can figure it out [​IMG]

5. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    They work great. 2 day old chicks, rubbed their beaks on the nipple only once. and they were all over it..

6. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Thanks for the feed back. Does anyone have any idea if ducks will use it? I'm just trying to find a way to provide fresh CLEAN water to my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by