1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freshly laid eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ardeepapa, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ardeepapa

ardeepapa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    Hey people! Do you guys put freshly laid eggs right into the refrigerator while it's still warm? Or let it cool for awhile?

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I dont usually get to them that fast I will be watching [​IMG]

3. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Yeah hah, my hen actually lays almost at the same time of the morning so it's pretty easy for me to know when to look. But as for my question, in your opinion, would you place warm eggs straight into the refrigerator? [​IMG]

4. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sometimes the eggs sit, sometimes they go right in the 'fridge. It just depends on timing. The kids collect 3-4 times daily. So, even in this freezing weather we get a lot of warm eggs. lol!

5. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    So it doesn't really matter if you refrigerate a warm egg right away?

6. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Heck... we keep ours on the counter most of the time, not the fridge. Is this really bad?

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Nope, doesn't matter. I always put mine in the fridge right away, warm or not. One day I went to the coop to check and watched the bloom dry on an egg and it went straight in the fridge.

8. ardeepapa

Dec 7, 2010
    Alright then, thanks so much guys!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't even keep eggs in the fridge, any more. I did, at first. Not now. They cook better at room temp, and they're fine for a couple weeks at least. I sell or give away those I don't eat myself.

10. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Personally, I think the only place you should be putting an egg that is still warm is in the frying pan. [​IMG]

They should last a LONG time at room temperature, if you don't have to wash the bloom off. I kick my chickens out of the nest boxes at night and change the shavings often, so I don't really have to deal w/ dirty eggs. I've had eggs sit unwashed for a month or two and have yet to crack one that isn't good. If you routinely wash your eggs you'll want to refrigerate them, and you'll probably not want to put them in the fridge unwashed (theoretically anything on the shell can be drawn inside when the egg is chilled, I'm not sure how accurate that is).

I display mine proudly on the counter, in one of these:
    http://www.longitude0.co.uk/egg-skelter/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by