Fretting over pre-sexed Rouen Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by misfitsailor, Dec 16, 2015.

1. misfitsailor

misfitsailor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    5 weeks ago we drove down to Metzer Farm to pick up 2 Cayuga and 3 Rouen day-old ducklings. We paid the extra to make sure we got one Rouen drake and the balance all hens. I realize it's early, but I am worried that all of our Rouens are hens. They are changing color, but they all the Rouens still look identical. They all have an unbroken black stripe down the back of their necks, no sign of a light band on any of them. I think I read somewhere that it can take month's to know for sure. It's also too soon to judge them by their quacks, as their voices are still changing. I have no experience with Rouens, our last ducks were Cayugas and a Welsh Harlequin. I am really looking forward to having a handsome Rouen drake, and look anxiously for signs that we actually have one.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You're probably fine :) Sexing ducklings is not like sexing chicks, they are much easier to sex. Drakes have a very obvious penis and it would be impossible to mistake a female for a drake. The only way you would have gotten a female is if somebody accidentally tossed one into the drake bin.

1 person likes this.
  3. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    The rouens will continue to look alike for a few more weeks, until the drake starts molting again (my mallards usually started around 10-12 weeks, I think). One earlier visual sign is that his bill will start to turn yellow while the others will stay orange (as early as 8 weeks, I think). Your girls should be starting to quack soon, if not already intermittently. The male will likely keep peeping for a while, and his voice change is less noticeable, in my opinion.
    The males will also molt each year into the same coloring they have now, and pretty much the only visual difference between the genders will again be the bill color, at least for those few months.

1 person likes this.
  4. misfitsailor

Dec 11, 2015
    cymbaline, Pyxis, many thanks! You have put my mind at ease.

5. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I completely understand and sympathize. Even at 6 months I was still having fits of anxiety over my presexed hens. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Metzer sexed my one correctly! He even showed me hw to do it.:D

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. misfitsailor

Dec 11, 2015
    Great news! The Rouen drake has revealed himself. His head is turning a pretty iridescent green! I first saw it yesterday when the sun finally came out.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    :weee

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by