fretting over the rain

Suechick

Songster
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Oh, I'm sitting here in bed just stewing about my 6 week old chicks.
bow.gif
We moved them into the almost finished coop this week. They are out there right now and it's raining cats and dogs. I don't know if I can sleep, I'm so worried that they'll get wet. We're in soCal and not used to "stormy" weather.
cool.png
I put plastic over the window openings, the soffits are still open for ventillation though. I think it may be a loooong night.
caf.gif

I have 2 buff orphs, 1 RIR and 1 white silkie. The temps are probably around 55 so not too cold. I have a 100 watt bulb out there with them, its been keeping the coop at around 65+ degrees.

We just had another surge of down pouring rain and I jsut sat here cringing. I might have to go out there in my night gown and check on them...

Thanks for your reply

6 weeks they are fully feathered, if it was daylight mine would be outside, your chicks are probably fine, especially with the light, but it never hurts to check on them

I think if I take a few meal worms out for them I might feel better, don't know if it will make a difference for them...

Yup, their fine. I went out to check on them, now I am soaked
barnie.gif
but they are dry.
cool.png

My silkie was even up on the roost with the others, it's the first time I've seen that.
celebrate.gif

I still think I won't be able to sleep soundly tonight as I hear the waves of pouring rain and the wind and ....
You know, they're my babies. And I'm a newbie chicken keeper,

yea we went through the same thing with our fist chickies, we were more worried about predators then temps though

LOL!! Yeah, many of us went through what you experienced last night
lol.png
I think I worried and fretted more about those daggone chicks those first few days in the coop than I worried over my son when he was a newborn. And yes, many of us have made those frequent late night/early morning treks out to the coop to peek in and make sure everyone's okay. Welcome to the world of chicken parenting
roll.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom