fretting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amberjem, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

okok I have been anticipating chickens forever now and today finally I get to go to a local breeder and see about some ten week old chicks to come home with me to give me a chicken fix until next spring and of course I am reading stuff refreshing my memory finding new things to research and I have paniced myself into a worry so what should one expect at a good chicken purchasing place, signs that should make me run away? I go to see the chickens this afternoon so any suggestions, help would be much appreciated :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It depends a lot on the breed, and on what is popular, among other things. which can include their lineage or how show worthy they are likely to turn out. Check out our Buy Sell Trade forum to at least get an idea of what different breeds are selling for. That link goes to the forum for up to 8 seeks; the next forum is for the next age bracket.

Of course, look for a decent and roomy living space, no sign of mites/lice on the legs (raised leg scales) or on the base of the feather shafts in places like under the wings or around the vent. Also look for any sign of respiratory illness: a runny eye, snotty nose, cough, wheeze, etc.

Any chance you can talk to someone else who has bought from this breeder?

Good luck!

3. Amberjem

sorry I didnt mean breeder breeder but a person who has chickens who raises them has extra roosters, and her daughter has some 10 week old barnyard mix, I just got to reading stuff on chicken diseases and couple threads on ppl who bought chickens and had problems and started worrying over drive. refrences and looking at the conditions and other tips is great exactly what I was looking for any other suggestions awesome :) ty

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ah. I believe around $10 to $20 is the going rate for barnyard mix, grown out or partly grown out -- or what they can get. Chicks, probably $2-$4. People give them away every day, too. Check the free rehoming forum, just in case -- it's mostly roosters, of course, but sometimes someone is giving their flock away.

5. Amberjem

yes it's 1 for 10week old pullets :) to be honest I get a lil lost finding stuff in the bvuy sell trade

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, I understand... but it would give you some idea of prices for "real breeds," when I htought that was what you meant. Probably not much use for backyard mixes, granted. You could check out the "free rehoming" section, though. That's just regular threads like the rrest of the forum, not classified ads.

7. Amberjem

locally only thing I can find full breed is barred rock and rir , I didnt have good experience with my grandma's rir they were so mean and wanted a gentler more pet friendly birds :)

8. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I have 5 Barred Rocks in my flock and they are great egg layers and very sweet and gentle. They are not pets by any means but then I am not raising pets. I'm sure they have it better than a lot of laying hens though. I do talk to them and they seem to chatter back.

Let me also edit this in. I have 7 RIR roosters that came as packing peanuts with another order. The are all aggressive and attack me when I feed them even though they are only 4 weeks old. So I understand what you are saying about RIR's. These will go to freezer camp as soon as they are ready.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  9. Amberjem

ok I am off to look at these chickens!! they are a barred rock, java, favorell(sic) cross

10. Amberjem

just wanmted to thank you so much for your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by