Friday is d-day *WARNING* GRAPHIC POST Page 4

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Crickett, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Got six of the extra Roos picked out to go to freezer camp. Only one of them has a name, but he's number one on the list because he's so mean! So, it will be my very first time, y'all be wishing me luck! I'll post and let everyone know how it went.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    good luck Friday.

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    take no prisoners! give 'em heck!

we had a mean rooster we named "First" because he was so mean... and he was. first that is....

we did another round of our meaties a couple of weeks ago - the best thing we are making???? aside from the stock??

chicken salad from the white meat after the stock is done. honestly its the best thing we've ever eaten and we are hooked!

good luck! let us know how it goes!!

4. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Ive got one roo from my breeding/laying flock picked out for freezer camp once he gets bigger. His name is Donner. I also have 25 cornish crosses that are collectively referred to as "The Donner Party."

Dan

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. Remember to let them age so you can chew into them!

6. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    The plan is to do the deed friday, then let them age until sunday, at which point they will be freezer bound.

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    what do you mean let them age?Like hanging a deer? what temp?

8. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I dunno. Should I stick them in the fridge first? or just let them hang? AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't do this! I don't know what I'm doing! Somebody help! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! [​IMG]

9. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    I just put mine in a cooler of icy cold well water after they are plucked and gutted, for 2 or 3 hrs. Then drain, bag them up and put in the fridge 2 or 3 days to 'rest', then freeze.

10. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    breathe crickett...or should we 'masters' call you "grasshopper"
    ;-)

dont psych yourself out or get all worked up. go back and read some of the posts here and you'll see that everyone says 'its not as bad as i thought it would be'. then look over some of the how-to's. personally i love Harvey Ussery. then develop a kind of dark sense of humor so you can add a bit of levity... and remember that the words used to describe dressing chickens is by nature inflamatory... so it sounds much worse. then pray, meditate, or do a couple of shots, cowboy up and march out there!

so here's whatcha do:

* be sure to starve them the nite before - water only no food
    * have a helper so you arent too nervous
    * determine a method of dispatching them that is right for you
    * either pluck or skin
    * do the guts part (this is my job! i'm on guts)
    * get them cooled as fast as you can - down to 40*. since its been warm we've put them, whole, directly into a cooler of ice water...then when we are done for the day they go on trays into our beer fridge which is colder than our kitchen fridge. i just let them set for a couple of days - at least 24 hrs but most say 48
    * then cut up and put in freezer - make sure you label!

you can do it!!!
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by