1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fridge or counter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tbevans, Oct 29, 2015.

1. tbevans

tbevans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    I've been collecting my pekin eggs for a few days now and I read it's best not to wash them so I havent, but do they last longer in the fridge or left out on the counter? On average about how long will they last on the counter unwashed? How long will they last in the fridge unwashed? I'm giving them to someone who could really use them and wanted to tell them how long they'd last.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    They are good on the counter for two weeks, I believe. An unwashed duck egg is good in the fridge for at least 4 months, some people say up to 6. I always put all of mine in the fridge as soon as I collect them. If you aren't planning on incubating them, why leave them out?

1 person likes this.
  3. tbevans

tbevans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    Oh wow! I didn't realize they lasted that long!! I'll stick them in the fridge! Thanks so much!

4. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
  5. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    They last on the counter un-washed for quite a while. However, I did encounter someone earlier this year who got a nasty case of salmonella poisoning from her own duck eggs, as she was leaving them un-washed on her counter, and failing to wash them prior to use. I leave mine out for a little while, but they all ultimately wind up in the fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by