Fried Chicken help needed.

VaM715

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Fincastle, VA
Can any of you tell me why I can cook a gourmet meal anytime I want, but cannot figure out the secret to making the flour stick to my chicken? It always seems to fall off at the start . What do you all do to make great fried chicken?

I like to put my chicken in the fridge and let it set for awhile after I've coated it with flour. Then when I'm ready to fry it I dredge it again in the flour. Another key is to have your grease hot and not overcrowd it in the pan. Also once you put it in, don't mess with it. If you try and turn it too soon the coating will come off. Of course I think nothing works as well as my old cast iron frying pans!!

I dip my chicken in flour, then dip it in a mixture of egg and milk, then dip it in seasoned bread crumbs. Brown pieces in a hot oiled skillet for a few minutes on each side, then bake in the oven until done. UUUMMMMM GOOOOD

I never could get the hang of using a skillet
he.gif
I got a fry daddy deep fryer. Heat my grease, flour my chicken, put it in the basket and drop it into the grease. Comes out great everytime
wee.gif

For drumsticks & thighs DH prefers a not overly breaded skin. I usually just rinse them in cold water over the sink then roll in flour. For boneless strips I make an egg & milk mixture into which I dunk the strip then roll in flour then dunk again and flour again.
Also like Katy mentioned don't overcrowd your basket or skillet. I use a fry daddy and after I set them down in the grease about a minute or so later I use a fork to make sure nothing is sticking together or to the basket which tends to rip the breading & or skin off.

Edited because I kant spel.
smile.png

Last edited:
It is all in the method of making it, I have posted this before but this recipe is worth sharing
It is the best home made fried chicken I have ever had! Give it a try it might be what you are looking for. I always use the cayenne for kick.
Ingredients
Serves 4-6

* 1/2 cup coarse salt (or 6 tablespoons table salt)
* 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup cornmeal
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano, or a pinch of cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon table salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* Peanut oil, for frying

Directions
1. In a large bowl or pot, dissolve 1/2 cup coarse salt in 3 quarts of water. Rinse chicken pieces, and add to bowl. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours(I have done longer with out problems). Remove chicken pieces, and rinse under cool water. Clear space in the refrigerator to accommodate a wire cooling rack.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, and seasonings, and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Shake. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, then whisk in buttermilk. Dip half the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture, then place in the plastic bag. Shake, and lay out on a wire rack. Repeat for remaining pieces. Put the rack on a rimmed baking sheet, and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, but preferably 2 hours, to set.
3. Pour peanut oil to a depth of 3/4 inch in a large iron Dutch oven. Place over medium-high heat.
4. When oil reaches 365 degrees (if you don't have a thermometer, wait until the oil starts to smoke -- very hot oil is fine for this recipe), arrange chicken pieces in the pan, skin side down, and cover. After 5 minutes, remove the cover. Adjust heat level, if necessary, so oil bubbles at a moderate pace -- not too rapidly and not too slowly (medium to medium-high heat is best, depending on the heat conductivity of your pan). Rearrange pieces if some are browning more quickly than others. After 5 more minutes, turn the pieces over. Cook uncovered for 8 to 10 more minutes or until done. Meanwhile, thoroughly wash and dry the wire rack.
5. Remove the fried chicken to cleaned wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Let drain for 5 minutes, and serve.

This is how I do it, and it turns out PERFECT each time.

Remove the skin from the chicken

Coat in egg mixed with a little milk (add seasonings to the egg/milk mix, like salt, pepper, garlic, tabasco....the tabasco doesn't make it spicy, but it sure gives it a good flavor!)

Coat in flour (add dry seasonings only to the flour, too....usually I salt pepper and garlic both the flour and egg)

Dip a second time in the egg

Dip a second time in the flour

Deep fry till done

Turns out AWESOME!

I soak my chicken in buttermilk for about an hour in the fridge, and then I dredge in seasoned flour, put it back in the fridge for another hour before frying. As another poster said, don't overcrowd the pan and don't turn the chicken until the first side is brown. And, as also stated, cast iron is better. Practice, practice, practice makes perfect with fried chicken, but it's so worth it!

Back
Top Bottom