1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fried Green Tomatos

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by coloradochick, Dec 8, 2010.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Anyone have any yummy ways of making these? We watched Paula Dean deep fry them the other night and all the flour looked like it fell off.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I just put S&P on the tomatoes then flour and pan fry over fairly low heat, not much grease. Been eating them this way all my life; love them. Probably the Yankee way.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I dip mine in cornmeal and salt and pepper them.

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I dip in an egg wash, and bread with crushed saltines with italian herbs then fry or bake. Then make a diping sauce of sour cream and salsa with the same italian herbs to taste. DH gobbles them down like he hasn't eaten in days lol

5. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Mmmmm my mouth is watering [​IMG]
    Everytime my DD and I watch the Food Network ie: Iron Chef, Diners Drive-ins and Dives (or whatever that is called), anything where they're making food we just sit in a daze. We're pathetic [​IMG]

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:This is how DH makes them although he always uses Crisco. I know other people may like canola or olive oil

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

wet them down good in some salted buttermilk and then dredge in cornmeal... thats how we do it in alabama.. birthplace of fried green tomatos. Where are you getting green tomatos in December???

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We had ours in September

9. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Oh no green tomatos here but DD and I watched the movie "Fried Green Tomatos" the other night and then Paula Dean was making Holiday eats and that was a dish she made. So I got on here and looked at recipes and couldn't find FGT in there. I'm just gathering info for when I am able to try them. I wish I would've grown up in the south.......

eta: dipping them in buttermilk sounds wonderful!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

well we have our issues down here, but the food's good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by