Frieda the wonder-chicken!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TexGardenGirl, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TexGardenGirl

TexGardenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    northeast of Dallas
    So this bird was named Fraidy until a few weeks ago because she was so skittish. She's really tiny and the adult hens pick on her, so I always try to make sure she gets some scratch at treat time. I had just gotten her to start eating out of my hand, when one day she decides to jump up (a foot or so) into my hands as I was leaning over to feed her. So, we did that trick a few more times. Then the next day she flew onto my back while I was leaning into the scratch bin, then climbed up to my shouder.

Check it out:

[​IMG]
    (sorry it's not the best picture - I took it with my phone, which I've never done before)

So now it's a regular thing to carry her around on my hand or forearm, kinda like she's a falcon (and she looks very hawk-ish to me, not a normal chicken face). And we changed her name from Fraidy to Frieda.

(ok I promise I posted this before I looked at the "My husband is a victim" thread!)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Awww, Freida will be your little helper! Lovely picture. Thanks for sharing.

I have an Easter Egger that does that. When I go out to do chores, she flies up on my shoulder. This is her, a couple days ago ...
    [​IMG]

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I LOVVE IT! When all my hens went broody over the summer my rooster would sprint around the yard to keep up with me ! [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    That's an interesting coincidence...I named my White Silkie Freida b/c she was always such a fraidy bird and that's how she got the name Freida too!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by