friend for my hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meloreskovich, Aug 14, 2013.

1. meloreskovich

meloreskovich Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Total newbie to chickens here! We rescued a wyandotte hen that was dropped off at a small pond near our house. Upon bringing her home, we built her a coop and she seems to have settled in nicely. She gets to roam all day and after 3 weeks here she finally laid an egg! We really love her! But I keep reading that she should have a friend. But I'm not interested in raising chicks right now. We live in the city so I am limited on the amount of chickens I can have.

What's the best way to find another young hen for her? What breed (s) is best? How do I introduce them?

Thank you all for any input :)

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You might try Craig's List, with the usual caveats. Post in the section here for buying and selling. PM some of the others here in your area to see what might be available.

Chris

3. meloreskovich

meloreskovich Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you! I have checked Craigslist. My concern is finding a hen that is close the same age as mine. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how old mine is...

Also, how much should I expect to pay for a chicken? Some ads seems a little pricey on Craigslist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by