Friend Got a Yorkie... Update Page 3

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jan 12, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I had a friend call today and tell me that she had gotten a 8-week-old teensie tiny Yorkie puppy. She then told me that she no longer "wanted" her 4-year-old female chocolate Lab. [​IMG] She asked if I wanted her. What should I do? I already have one black lab in the house and I have hair tumbleweeds everywhere. I really love dogs and it just kills me that she said she didn't want her anymore because of her new puppy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    if you take the lab, make sure you will have room for the "tiny Yorkie" in the future [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    • Take the lab. Make sure you get some kind of paperwork to show that ownership was legally transfered
    • Either keep the dog and take care of it like it should have been or foster it until you can find it a forever home
    • Tell the friend she is no longer a friend because you couldn't possibly bestow that title on someone who is so shallow and stupid. A real friend of yours would not treat a dog like a disposable lighter.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Wifezilla, I was thinking the same thing. She is basically throwing away a dog that has been her companion for 4 years. The dog is very sweet and well mannered... and house broken! She has always been superficial and materialisitic and think this may be a little too much.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] I agree. Poor dog. That IS completely shallow.
    I too,would take her in even if you planned on finding her another home.

7. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:Agreed.
    The Yorkie will be next. I have family that do the same thing. They buy one pet after another and end up giving them away.
    I could not Imagine giving a pet away.[​IMG]

8. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wifezilla is so right. Dogs are not toys or disposable. Your friend is not a very nice person if you ask me.

9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    That is so sad, and unfair to her lab... [​IMG] I hate it when people decide to get rid of their animals for stupid reasons (or for really any reason other than the animal's happiness and welfare). I would take the lab in and find her a good home where her family won't get rid of her, whether it's with you or someone else. It's one thing to have multiple dogs, but an entirely different thing to get a new dog and decide you don't want your other dog any more. It sounds like she's thinking of dogs more as accessories than living creatures who are part of the family. I would never give up any one of my three dogs, and I can't even imagine doing so.

10. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    this is just as bad as the people who live next door to me, they own 9 dogs! one goes missing(the guy sold them w/o the family knowing for his habit) they bring in 2 more!Dogs are not like gold fish they actually want and trust you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by