Friend painted old rustic windows I was gonna use. Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kuntrychick, Oct 14, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    We had found some OLD windows in our shed that we were gonna use on our new coop. Some of the panes were broken out so a friend that had to get some plexiglas cut for another project offered to take our windows to get plexiglas cut for them as well.

The windows had naturally been weathered perfectly...had chipping white paint on them...some places crackled up looking, wood showing through...all that. However, they were very dusty, dirty, cobwebs, spider webs, etc. Hubby told the friend that I probably wanted that weathered look...no paint but that he would ask me to make sure.

Well, with the friend standing right there & hubby with windows in hand, asked me if I wanted them painted or leave them like that or what. I said, maybe make sure there aren't any loose paint chips...scrape or sand it off a little, but I want to leave it like that...that natural aged distressed chipped paint wood.

Well, the friend took the windows to get the plexiglas & PAINTED the window frame brown. [​IMG] He is one that thinks things are supposed to look new & doesn't understand the charm in rustic, weathered stuff.

Is there anything I can do? I know that there's nothing that will look like the natural chipped paint unless it's truly a weathered chip paint naturally. I do know there are alternatives....distressing it, crackle paint, etc. Those look good but are still not quite the same, you know.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh no!!!!!!! I am so sorry! I woud be so upset. I am sure he meant well but he was told. I dont know what you can do. I have part of a 100 year old ladder as my pot rack in my kitchen. It was cobweby and dirty like you said so hubby painted it a rusty orange. Neither of us liked it as well as we did the natural color, so he took a wire brush to it. The paint stayed in some of the grooves but it did give it sort of a "weathered, was painted along time ago" look. You could try that. Good luck [​IMG]

3. tangled

tangled Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
  4. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Thanks! I might try that! Can't hurt to try! [​IMG] but yes, I am upset about this. If I had known when the paint was still fresh & wet, I would have used some mineral spirits on it to try to get as much of the paint off as I could...not sure that would have even helped though. But, too late for that....the paint is dry. I hope they didn't put several coats on it. I don't know, I haven't even seen them yet, was just told about it.

5. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's latex paint you could use a steam cleaner to "float" the paint off, if it hasn't been on too long. If it has I don't know.[​IMG]

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    You can go to lowes or home depot and get a spray can of cracked paint finish. It dries to look just like old cracked paint. The paint they put on the windows can be removed but you wont get the aged look back from that.

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:X 2 It looks pretty decent.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Dupont makes a very strong paint stripper. You must wear eye protection and must wear rubber gloves to handle this stuff. It will bubble the paint right off back down to wood but you must wipe if off and scrape it and the paint comes off in strips and easy.

Thats a bummer that someone thinks that there idea is more important than the owner and just do that, what an A$$.

9. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:Will that paint stripper also take off the old white paint that's on there under this fresh paint?

And yes, me & hubby are both mad about it because the guy KNEW we wanted to leave it like that!

We may have to go to yard sales or our local flea market or something & see about finding some old windows thats similar but hubby already has the framing done for the size of those windows. [​IMG]

10. kuntrychick

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:X 2 It looks pretty decent.

And yes, I think the crackle finish paint looks pretty good too. It's just that in my experience, nothing can quite look like the natural weathered, distressed look quite as good as actually being weathered / distressed. But, what's done is done now & all I can do is try to make it have that look the best I can. Thanks y'all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by