Friend told Daughter not to eat the eggs grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MrsShag, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MrsShag

MrsShag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My daughter informed me that she does not want to eat the eggs that our chickens lay because my friend told her that it is very dangerous to eat them. She told her that she will get salmonella because they don't go through a process that the ones in the stores go through. *sigh* [​IMG]
    I haven't talked to my friend about it yet. I explained to my daughter that I wouldn't eat them or feed them to her if they were dangerous.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That is so frustrating! Time for an educational hour on the computer, then you both can talk to the friend with facts, not hearsay. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Don't you just hate that!!

My parents told my daughters if they fell down in the pig pens, then the pigs would eat them. Pigs will eat anything and everythig, they said. Took me forever to convince the girls that it wasn't true...

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Well, I have to disagrre with the pigs.

Some hogs can be extremely dangerous. Even the nicest pigs if in the mood to eat will eat whatever comes their way - live chickens, turkeys, etc.

It is not a fallacy that people have been eaten by hogs.

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Yes, but my pigs were very small at the time, under 100 lbs.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    MP is right. One thing that stuck in my mind when learning about pigs while in college is that they can and will eat human flesh. That, and the fact that pigs are very intelligent... smarter than dogs even.

7. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Oh boy, oh boy! That's right, your eggs don't go through the "process" the store bought eggs go through - THANK HEAVENS!!! It's definitely time to find out what's up with your "friend", and also, depending on the age of your daughter, a lesson in what chickens endure, who have to lay eggs that are then sold in stores. My son, who's 6, knows all about it (minus the graphic pic's, but with a pretty good description), and he'd rather eat no eggs at all, than eat store bought ones.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    the odds of salmonella are i think 2 in every 1,000 eggs (maybe more..) And if im not mistaken if you cook the eggs it kills it any way right? the 2 in 1,000 eggs is the Grocery store eggs too.. So may differ with yard eggs but I dont think it'd bother her unless she ate them raw?at least i've never had problems with them. and my family (3 generations) have owned chickens.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    What kind of "process" do commercial eggs go through? Is it supposed to be some kind of washing process? Because I've gotten commercial eggs with poop on them. [​IMG]

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Your friend had no business talking to your daughter about how you feed your family before she talked to you privately with her concerns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by