1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Friend wants indoor ducks - WHat breed would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a friend who come and saw my indoor ducklings the other dy and fell in love with them - she doesnt know what breed to get though.

SHe wants a drake , originally she wanted a pekin but then she really liked my runner drake pictures. So, what breed would you suggest? She doesnt want calls or muscovies though.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    How about a welsh harlequin or any kind of runner

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I would advise her against a drake only because we have read on here numerous times what happens with a single enamored drake.

I think runners are a good idea. [​IMG]

4. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    runners!

disclaimer: I'm a bit biased since my ducks are runners.... [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive had a singluar drake before and had no problems with agression or anything. What has been said about having a singulair drake??

WOuld a hen e better? She has dogs so I was wondering about the noise level , and she really doesnt care about eggs or ducklings at all. she just wants one or two ducks to have as indoor birds.

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I thought I've read on here several times about people having male ducks in the house who start thinking of their owner as their mate. Getting agressive, trying to get it on with their feet... and whatnot... maybe I am wrong?

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh! I didnt even think about that. What if it was one male one female? WHat would be the best sex ratio for indoor ducks - one or two birds?

8. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Quote:I don't know the answer to that because my birds are outside, but I do know that my female runner honks louder than any bird I've ever heard. She's louder than the dogs. I don't know how nettie does it.

9. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    From my experience, how loud a runner gets is based on personality.

Of Nettie's ducks, Ming Mei is by far the more vocal and louder duck. She'll have some quacking fits and get really loud sometimes but it's not too often. If she gets out of hand, we give her a "ducky time-out" by putting her in the bathtub with the lights off. After her requisite screaming from being separated from Victor she'll calm down and stay quiet. (We're taking advantage of their instinct to be quiet at night as not to attract predators).

Victor can get loud be it seems like he only does when he's broody. His quacks tend to be lower pitch, a bit raspy, and much quieter.

Of the two ducks that we are duck-sitting for a couple weeks, Vinny is pretty quiet - maybe a bit noisier than Victor but I have yet to hear her let out super loud quack. Ollie on the other hand won't shut up at all. She just keeps quacking nonstop from dawn til dusk (and them some). She quacks so often, she doesn't bother to stop while drinking her water! Underwater quacks sure do sound funny. [​IMG] I've been trying to discipline her (make loud shushing sounds while squirting her with a water bottle whenever she is insanely loud) - it seems to be working. If i make the shushing sound from across the room, I get 20 seconds of relief...[​IMG] Also she doesn't quack loudly anymore when she can see me. I make sure to pet her and give her treats often to balance out the punishments.

My ducklings are 1.5 weeks old now and their lungs are developing quite nicely.... especially Norie. She'll peep loudly whenever she wants my attention... which is usually 10 seconds after I walk away from her... Moxy cries for me too, but nowhere near as often or as loudly. I get the feeling I'm going to have to discipline Norie about quacking once she gets older.

10. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Indoor ducks? You mean they live inside your house?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by